Saturday, January 19, 2013

Smiles, Memories, Tears, and Cheers

Dear Ones,

I cannot adequately express the gratitude I feel within my heart for all of the love and support that you so graciously gave Curtis and myself throughout the ups and downs of life and health these past few years. Curtis and I discussed the possibility of his not making it and what his final wishes would be. True to form, he did not want us to mourn his passing, but wanted us to be joyful about his life. Curtis was adamant about not wanting a funeral, nor a viewing, and requested that he be cremated and for his remains to be privately scattered at a place that was special to us. As you all know, one of the great joys of his life was football, and following his recovery from surgery, he was looking forward to the Super Bowl. And so, in lieu of a funeral, I ask all of our loved ones, near and far, to join together in spirit on Super Bowl Sunday, February 3rd at 10AM MST. Please visit our blog that morning. There will be a photo-montage posted here of our happy moments together for everyone to watch. Please view it with a prayer in your heart and a smile on your face in honor of the man that we all love and greatly miss. And then feel free to share your memories of Curtis in the comment section. They will all be printed up, along with the photos, in book form for me to keep as a remembrance of him. While you watch the Super Bowl that night, cheer extra loud so that Curtis can hear you from his front row seats up in heaven.

With love and friendship,
Nadine Shelton

4 comments:

  1. Looking forward to the 3rd... Such a perfect day and way to honor your husband's wishes while also still providing everyone with a virtual memorial service. SuperBowl Sundays will forever hold new meaning to us. Each year it will truly be a day we will set aside to celebrate Curtis' life! All our love to you, dearest Nadine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will meet you then. such a wonderful idea :). Thinking of you and praying for you as well Mrs Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember, as a little girl, playing in my grandmother's yard and seeing a little boy wearing a football helmet learning to ride his bike in his driveway at the house acroos the street. I asked my grandmother if I could go over and play with him. As I neared his driveway, I introduced myself. He never stopped riding, as if I wasn't even there at first. With my feelings hurt, thinking he did not want to play with me, I turned to walk away. and then a trembling voice from behind the helmet spoke up as the wobbling bike continued to zoom back and forth in the driveway, saying "Hi......I'm Curtis". I smiled and turned back around and said "Maybe I can bring my bike over and teach you how to ride it" Still trying to steady himself on his bike, he replied "But you're a girl. Little did I know it would be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
    I remember in primary and elementary school, every Friday Curtis's dad and my dad would co-coach the Bassett High School football team. Curtis and I would sit in the stands enjoying popcorn. I would sit there listening to him trying to explain the plays to me, not having a clue what he was talking about. But I thought "He knows everything there is to know about football because he is a boy."
    I remember every morning I would sit looking out the window as the school bus came to a stop infront of Curtis's house. And EVERY morning, he would board the bus with a smile large enough to engulf the universe and pass by my seat and say, "Hi T".
    I remember that if I ever had a bad day in highschool and passed Curtis in the hallway, he would stop and rest his hand on my shoulder ans ask "What's wrong T?" And he would assure me that it would get better. Somehow, it always did.
    As I sit watching the superbowl this evening, I will remember my neighbor, my classmate, my colleague ..... and most importantly, MY FRIEND.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life has been enriched through the very existance of this kind, caring, gentle spirit of the man we all knew as Curtis Shelton. May his spirit live on through the lives of all that he has touched.

    ReplyDelete